Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Indoor Outdoor Living in SA

One of my most favorite things about South Africa is this concept of indoor/outdoor living spaces. Picture your living room opening onto another room that has 1-3 walls open to the outside. In this space you put real furniture - not deck furniture. You might have a living room space and a dining room space.   Many people equip this space to serve them year-round, because on most days, even in winter, it is warm enough to enjoy a cup of coffee out there, and at night you can put a heater or two, and even drop down some bamboo mats to make it keep the warmth in.


I took these photos at a house we went to for a braai (b-b-que). I realize it doesn't really do the concept justice but taking pictures from the light into the dark or vice versa is too tricky for my amateur skills.

1 comment:

  1. It is bitter cold here. I am terribly envious. It just looks wonderful. I am still crawling around in my car with a non-living Christmas tree in the back seat. Holidays just aren't the same without you all.
    Love you
    Ma

    ReplyDelete